Tuesday, July 3, 2012

And it is only my 3rd day here...

A funny story! (from 6/21/12)

Today I found out at the office that the running water is not working! I found this out when I asked to use the bathroom and they said the water is not working but here is a bucket full of water....I had 2 seconds of panic asking myself what I am suppose to do with a bucket of water and then breathed, remembering the lesson on plumbing and how toilets worked from my dad...and how it is the water pressure that makes the toilet flush...so I opened up the top of the toilet and dumped the bucket in and then flushed...and it worked!!! Then I got out my handy dandy purel :)
 
Also, the electricity went out for 15-20 mins last night, and I was thankful I was given the advice to bring  a headlamp with me :) I have been told that electricity outages are a semi-regular occurrence in Bujumbura - specifically at night. I think they actually turn off the electricity in some parts of the city (i.e. the poorer parts) on purpose, but that random outages can happen anywhere.

1 comment:

  1. Large parts of the DC metro area lost power Friday night due to a bad thunderstorm, in case it makes you feel better about being in a third world country. Some people are still without power as of today.

    ReplyDelete