Thursday, July 12, 2012

Gitega: Part Trois - the drive back to Bujumbura

Ok - sorry for the break in posts - I was in Kigali, Rwanda (post to come on this experience) this past weekend and then I have been out in the field doing interviews and the things I was actually hired to do in Burundi :)

I don't really have anything to write about of my the drive from Gitega to Bujumbura, but that it showed me the rugged, wild beauty of the country side, and the daily life of rural (and mostly poor) Burundians. Enjoy the pics and I will add comments when I have them. Also note: you can sometimes see a reflection in the pic - it is because I was taking the pictures as we drove. I figured out how to get my camera to take rapid pics if I hold the shutter down...it was pretty cool!




 The above 3 pictures are from Gitega, pictures of the city as we left for Bujumbura.




Burundi seems to be a country of bicycles. Everywhere you go, people are riding bicycles - from the city to the country side. We are already on the road to Bujumbura - and bicycles seem to be the main mode of transportation between villages, markets, etc.









The above pictures are from driving through the country side - or more specifically the mountains.





The pictures above are a highlight of daily life. The first is tending livestock, which already means you are slightly more well-off since you own animals. The next is as we approach a local village's market day. This people are either leaving with their purchase or heading to market and trying to sell their goods.





Produce at the market. There was someone actually shelling the peas and then dumping them in the basket. You could purchase the peas by the pound. All the colors of the fruits and vegetables are extremely vibrant!





These last few pictures also highlight daily life as we passed by villages on our way back to the capitol. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Love the food pics - don't forget to bring home a recipe!

    ReplyDelete