Monday, July 16, 2012

Celebrating 50 years of Independence

Burundi celebrated 50 years of Independence on July 1, 2012. It was a very interesting experience being here. First, there was a lack of publicity about what was going on in terms of celebrations of the event. No one really knew what was going on, only that there was going to be some sort of parade on July 2nd (the gov't gave Monday as a holiday as well, but instead of doing all the celebrations on the actual day of Independence - they moved all the celebrations to that Monday - a little odd, but not really sure why they did that).

Unlike in the US where there would be schedules and plans in the newspapers and on the Radio (also the internet but since most Burundians don't have consistent access to the internet not the best publicity medium) there was really nothing telling people what was going on. So, through a lot of asking of questions, Liz and I figured out that the parade was on Monday - and would only really be about 3-4 blocks long right in front of the Presidents resident and then into the stadium. You had to have passes to go see the parade in the stadium. So feeling a little bummed I wouldn't be able to go see everything. Then....my translator said that he had a press pass, and that we should just try to keep flashing the badge at the police and see if they would let us in. I would bring my camera and since I was white - they would be more likely to allow this. This was a crazy idea and I kept thinking "I am going to get arrested"....but he said it would be fine and Liz said it should be ok, just that we shouldn't argue if the police start saying "no".

So off we go to try and get ourselves into the parade...and it worked! We got pretty close, not into the stadium but to the point where the parade turned into the stadium. At some point, a Burundian journalist, for a radio station - asked me if I was a journalist and mentioned that I needed to have gotten a pass before the even to get in. He also asked who I worked for...my translator said that I was a freelancer and was originally in Burundi for the celebrations but decided to try and partake....so then the journalist said he would help us out and got us even closer to the event....so nice!

In some sense the celebration was all very cool but it was also sort of sad. The population came out in droves to see the parade and participate in the celebrations and the parade never even passed them. It seemed that all the celebrations were for the dignitaries and elite. Also, during this time, all the local NGOs (which are called associations) and "elite" people were busy showing off to the goverment their "good works" that they have done to better Burundi. The government also, commissioned 50 public works to be completed in time for the celebrations (building roads, schools and other things). Also, I feel unlike in the US were all the "big" parade people are at the front of the parade (i.e. like representatives from the army, etc) they were all at the end of the parade in Burundi - I didn't stay to see them because after two hours it didn't look like they would be showing up anytime soon (I heard later that the parade took like 6-7 hours!!). All the different communes (city sections), quartiers (sections within communes) and different schools and associations all were required to send representatives to march in the parade. They took forever! Also, there was a huge lack of music and excitement. One or two marching band type things - but you really felt that there was a lack on energy and excitement :(

The whole day seemed very anti-climatic, with celebrations and activities reserved mostly for the elite and the rest of the population sort of going about their daily lives trying to survive - in some sense you feel the country missed an opportunity to truly celebrate who they were and are now. As much as people might disagree with the political situation in Burundi, Independence day was an opportunity to put politics aside and celebrate as Burundian the fact that you are free.

Here are some pics that I took.....there was a huge police and army presence:


 
The Parachutists where the most exciting part for the population, since it was the only thing they could really see. The police also thought it was the coolest thing and also surged forward and crouched down to see them land (then they had to work at pushing the population back again since they didn't hold their positions). The first parachute is the color of the Burundian Flag.



The following pictures are people who participated in the parade -  some are dressed in different traditional garb.








3 comments:

  1. Wow, so interesting. Way to be adventurous in your quest to see the parade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having a lot of fun reading your posts. The life you are describing is fascinating. Thanks for including so many pics. It brings your writing to life!

    ReplyDelete